These 68 ways to use 4 popular essential oils can help anyone immediately appreciate the benefits of Young Living’s pure, beyond organic, unadulterated, therapeutic-grade essential oils. Whether diffusing, applying topically, ingested as a dietary supplement, as air fresheners to kill airborne bacteria, as part of your First Aid kit, or used to flavor beverages, in cooking or baking – Young Living’s oils will help you step into a world of wellness.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) is the most versatile of all essential oils. Therapeutic-grade lavender has been highly regarded for the skin. Lavender has been clinically evaluated for its relaxing effects. It may be used to cleanse cuts, bruises and skin irritations. The fragrance is calming, relaxing and balancing — physically and emotionally.
1. Rub 2 drops Lavender oil on the soles of feet for calming.
2. Rub 1 drop Lavender on your pillow to help you sleep.
3. Put 1 drop Lavender on a bee sting or insect bite to help stop itching and reduce swelling.
4. Put 2-3 drops Lavender (neat) on a minor burn to decrease pain.
5. Drop Lavender oil on a cut to stop the bleeding.
6. Mix 2-4 drops Lavender with 1 TBSP V-6 Massage Oil and use topically on eczema and dermatitis.
7. For motion sickness, place 1 drop Lavender on the end of the tongue, around naval or behind the ears.
8. To stop a nosebleed, put 1 drop Lavender oil on a tissue and wrap it around a small chip of ice. Gently push up under the middle of the top lip to the base of the nose and hold.
9. Rub 1 drop Lavender over the bridge of the nose to unblock tear ducts. (Keep away from eyes!)
10. Rub 1 drop Lavender oil with 1 teaspoon V-6 Massage Oil on dry or chapped skin.
11. Linen spray; in a 4oz. spray bottle filled with water add 7-9 drops Lavender oil, lightly mist linens for a clean fresh scent.
12. To minimize the formation of scar tissue, massage Lavender on and around the affected area.
13. Rub 1-3 drops Lavender with a little V-6 over armpit area as a deodorant.
14. A drop between your palms, inhale deeply to help alleviate the symptoms of hay fever.
15. Rub several drops of Lavender oil into scalp to help eliminate dandruff.
16. Place 7-9 drops Lavender oil on a cotton ball, put in your linen closet to scent the linens and repel moths and insects.
17. Place a drop of Lavender oil in your water fountain to scent the air, kill bacteria and prolong the time between cleanings.
18. Put 4 drops Lavender oil on a damp washcloth and toss into the dryer in place of dryer sheets.
19. Put 1 drop Lavender oil on a cold sore.
20. Diffuse Lavender to alleviate symptoms of allergies.
21. Mix 7-10 drops of Lavender oil in a 4oz. spray bottle filled with water, to spray on sunburn to cool and soothe (shake before use).
22. Drop Lavender oil on a cut to clean the wound and kill bacteria.
23. Apply 2-3 drops Lavender with a little V-6 to a rash to stop the itching and heal the skin.
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon (Citrus lemon) has antiseptic-like properties and contains compounds that have been studied for their effects on immune function. Lemon oil has also been shown to elevate mood. CAUTION: Citrus oils should NOT be applied to skin that will be exposed to direct sunlight or ultraviolet light within 24 hours.
24. Use 1-3 drops Lemon oil to add flavor to salad dressings, baked goods or beverages.
25. Homemade lemonade; in a blender, add 2 drops Lemon oil, 2 TBSP of honey and two cups of pure water. Tip: add 1 cup of ice (in place of water) to make a slushy.
26. Use 1-2 drops Lemon oil to remove gum, oil, grease or crayon.
27. Rub 1 drop Lemon oil on a corn, callous or bunion morning and evening.
28. Clean and increase the shelf life of fresh fruit; fill a bowl with cool water and 2-3 drops Lemon oil. Be sure all surfaces of the fruit contact the lemon water.
29. To disinfect countertops; add 2-3 drops Lemon oil to water (in a spray bottle) and spray countertops (wipe or air-dry.
30. Soak your dishrag in 3-4 drops Lemon oil overnight in water to disinfect and kill germs.
31. Add a drop of Lemon oil to your dishwasher before the wash cycle.
32. Rub 1 drop of Lemon on your hands after using a public bathroom.
33. Place 1 drop of Lemon oil on cold sores or fever blisters to lessen pain and aid healing.
34. Put 1 drop of Lemon oil on bleeding gums caused by gingivitis or tooth extraction.
35. Rub 2 drops of Lemon oil topically for athlete’s foot.
36. Rub 1 drop Lemon oil on a wart morning and night until it disappears.
37. Put 10-15 drops Lemon oil in a gallon of carpet cleaning solution to pull out stains and brighten the rug. Note: do a test area first.
Extra Tip: For anxiety; put equal portions of Lemon oil and Lavender in a diffuser.
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint (Mentha piperita) is one of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for soothing digestion. Jean Valnet, M.D., studied peppermints effect on the liver and respiratory systems. Dr. William N. Dember of the University of Cincinnati studied peppermints ability to improve concentration and mental accuracy. Alan Hirsch, M.D., studied peppermints ability to directly affect the brains satiety center, which triggers a sense of fullness after meals.
38. Rub 2 drops Peppermint and 1 TBSP V-6 Massage Oil over stomach and around navel to relieve indigestion, flatulence, diarrhea.
39. Add 1 drop Peppermint oil to herbal tea to aid in digestion and relieve heartburn.
40. Massage 2-3 drops of Peppermint with 1 TBSP V-6 Massage Oil on an injury to reduce inflammation.
41. Apply Peppermint oil immediately to an injured area to relieve pain. If there is a cut or open wound, apply the Peppermint oil ‘around’, not on, the open wound.
42. Rub 2-5 drops of Peppermint oil on soles of the feet to help reduce fever.
43. Apply 1 drop Peppermint oil with a little V-6 topically on unbroken skin to stop itching.
44. Poison ivy or poison oak, apply Peppermint oil on location, dilute with V-6 Massage Oil.
45. Inhale Peppermint before and during a workout to boost your mood and reduce fatigue.
46. Massage 2 drops Peppermint oil with V-6 on abdomen to relieve nausea.
47. To relieve a headache, rub 1 drop on the temples, forehead, over the sinuses and on the back of the neck (avoid eye area).
48. Place 1 drop of Peppermint oil on the tongue to improve alertness and concentration.
49. Diffuse Peppermint in the room while studying to improve concentration and accuracy. Inhale Peppermint while taking a test to improve recall.
50. Place a drop of Peppermint on tongue and palms of your hands, cup palms over nose and inhale deeply to relieve congestion from a cold.
51. To deter rats, mice, ants or cockroaches, place several drops Peppermint on a cotton ball and place along the path or point of entry for these pests.
52. Mix one 15 ml. bottle of Peppermint into a 5 gals. of paint to dispel the fumes.
53. To kill aphids, add 4-5 drops to 4 ounces of water and lightly mist plants.
54. Put 1 drop Peppermint oil in a glass of cold water to cool off on a hot day.
55. Rub 3-5 drops Peppermint oil with 1 TBSP V-6 on joints to relieve arthritis or tendonitis pain.
56. Put 1 drop of diluted Peppermint oil on tongue to stop bad breath.
57. Inhale the fragrance to curb appetite and lessen the impulse to overeat.
58. Add 6 drops to a 4oz. spray bottle filled with water, to us in bathroom as an air freshener.
59. Mix 2-3 drops Peppermint oil with 1/2 cup Epsom Salt in a foot bath to relieve sore feet.
Thieves Essential Oil
Thieves blend, the essential oils in Thieves is well-known for enhancing health and well-being. Each of the single essential oils in this blend makes Thieves is a very popular essential oil due to its variety of uses. The single oils in the blend Thieves are: Clove (Syzygium aromaticum), Lemon (Citrus limon), Cinnamon Bark (Cinnamomum verum), Eucalyptus radiata, Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis CT 1,8 cineol).
60. Apply 1-2 drops Thieves to cuts or open wounds to help prevent infection and promote healing.
61. Mix 1 drop Thieves in a TBSP water, gargle for a sore throat.
62. Morning and evening, apply 2-3 drops Thieves on the soles of feet to protect from colds and flu.
63. Apply 1 drop Thieves to a bee or wasp sting to neutralize the toxin and relieve pain and swelling.
64. Once or twice a week, add enough drops (3-4) to a Q-Tip and rub on gums and teeth to help kill oral pathogens, and promote healthy gums and teeth.
65. Diffuse Thieves at home or office to kill airborne germs related to colds and flu.
66. Put 3-5 drops Thieves on a dampened washcloth, toss in the dryer in place of toxic dryer sheets.
67. Mix 3-4 drops Thieves with 1/2 cup Baking Soda for an effective tub and tile cleaner.
68. Mix 1 drop Thieves with a teaspoon of honey for relief..